Three Feeds for InstagramJan 17, 2022
Head of Instagram Adam Mosseri announced on his account that Instagram will be testing the option to toggle between three different feeds on your account. You can watch the video here, but here’s a rundown on what those feeds will include:
- Home: Same feed you currently see; however, as you may have noticed already, they’ll add more suggestions from accounts you don’t follow.
- Favorites: You select your favorite accounts. Their posts appear in this feed and nothing else.
- Following: A chronological feed, like old school pre-2018 Instagram.
NOTE: (Picture me cradling your head in my hands and telling you gently but firmly.) Don’t panic. This is a test. They may decide not to go through with these changes if there is a huge backlash or no one uses it.
Use it for Your Business
My advice whenever major changes are introduced on social media:
- Keep calm: This is only a test after all. I don’t even start thinking about adjusting strategy until the feature is available to most accounts.
- Stay the course: Don’t change your strategy. Keep posting as you normally would and track your stats. That way, you’ll know how it’s actually affecting your account.
- Play: Once the new feature is actually available, keep your current strategy but start playing with some new ones. Watch what other creators are doing and keep an open mind.
Eventually, new best practices emerge and you’ll be right back on course.
For more advice on what do to when the algorithm changes, check out episode 14 of Megan’s Social Media Marketing Show.
Just because it's new doesn't mean it's worth your time: Is worrying about the new Instagram feeds worth your time?
NO!: I give it 1 out of 5 thumbs up.
Don’t listen to all the doomsday social marketers. Stay calm and create on!
Social media is constantly changing. Sign up for This Week in Social Media Marketing to stay informed of the trends and decide whether it’s worth your time to try them.