Are Hashtags Dead?Apr 18, 2022
Before We Jump In
If you’ve been reading this newsletter and love it, could you do me a huge favor and write a quick one-line review? Examples could include:
- The only report I read every week!
- Better than getting a marketing degree.
- The only social media advice I trust.
- Saves me hours every week.
- Gives me the clarity I’ve waited for all my life!
I mean I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but, you know, just some ideas. 😉
Submit your review here to be featured on my website and socials.
A few social influencers have been claiming that hashtags are dead and that focusing on keywords and SEO is the most effective way to get your content seen by more people.
While I agree that focusing on including keywords in your captions is important, that doesn’t mean that hashtags no longer work.
My own Insights tell me that I get 30-50% of my reach from hashtags. And, recent research says the more hashtags you use, the better. Instagram Expert Jenn Herman has my back on this as well.
Use it for Your Business
How to use hashtags on Instagram:
- Don’t worry about finding the “right” hashtags.
- Some will be more effective than others and that’s okay.
- Start by typing in hashtags that make sense for the topic of that post.
- Add hashtags relevant to your niche.
- Scope out your competitor’s posts to see what hashtags they are using. You’ll want to use them as well.
- Scroll the hashtag feeds to see if the ones you’re using are indeed relevant to your audience and if people are actively posting to them.
- Look at how many posts include that hashtag. Aim for a mix of sizes. A few with posts in the millions, more with posts from 100K-1 million, and a majority from a few thousand to 100K.
- Include 10-30 hashtags per post.
Just because it's new doesn't mean it's worth your time: Using hashtags in your Instagram posts worth your time?
Yes!: I give it 5 out of 5 thumbs up.
Why not use every tool in your toolbox to give your post the best shot at success!?
Social media is constantly changing. Sign up for This Week in Social Media Marketing to stay informed of the trends and decide whether it’s worth your time to try them.